One to Five Star Quality Grading
VisitScotland, formerly known as the Scottish Tourist Board, operates a Quality Assurance scheme that uses a scale of One to Five Stars to indicate the overall quality of a tourism experience. The scheme applies to accommodation, visitor attractions and other tourism businesses, giving visitors a clear and simple guide to the quality of experience to expect.
At every star level you will find self-catering properties which offer charm and comfort, friendly and welcoming owners, and a range of prices giving fantastic value for money whatever your budget.
- 5 – Star – Exceptional – luxury facilities, various extras, and the highest standards
- 4 – Star – Excellent – a wide range of modern facilities and very smart décor
- 3 – Star – Very Good – well maintained premises and better than average facilities
- 2 – Star – Good – the normal range of facilities and good, sound accommodation
- 1 – Star – Acceptable – all the basic facilities and everything in working order
VisitScotland’s team of Advisers visit every property within the scheme regularly, and carry out an objective assessment against set criteria before awarding the Stars based on the overall quality of the establishment,
The award also gives an indication of the number and level of facilities you might expect, but it is important to note that it is based on quality, not just facilities offered. You should make sure that the accommodation you are considering will include any specific requirements you may have, such as a washing machine, telephone or DVD player.